Saturday, December 31, 2016

Black Eyed Peas for New Years!

Southern Good Luck meal for the New Year.... 
"The traditional meal also includes collard, turnip, or mustard greens, and ham. The peas, since they swell when cooked, symbolize prosperity; the greens symbolize money; the pork, because pigs root forward when foraging, represents positive motion.Cornbread also often accompanies this meal. The cornbread represents gold." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_pea
Soaking my black eyed peas for tomorrows meal~
 


I know I don't live in the South... Actually I live almost as far away in the US as I can without leaving the 48 contiguous states!  We have had black eyed peas on New Years growing up for as long as I can remember.  I have kept the tradition up over the years in my house!

 

No comments: